Thinking About Converting to Islam? Do you need reasons to convert to Christianity?
This post is also available in: Indonesia (Indonesian)
Why convert to Islam?
Before you convert/revert to Islam and recite the Shahada (Testimony of Faith), do yourself an eternal favor and answer the following questions:
1. Why convert to Islam when Islam does not affirm Jesus’ death on the cross?
Jesus’ death on the cross is an historical event Islam denies. This isn’t only a difference in history but eternity (1 Corinthians 15:1-4).
1 Corinthians 15:1–4
1Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand.
2By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.
3For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
4that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures…
The fact of Jesus’ death on the cross for sin and His resurrection from the dead is the reason why you should be a Christian.
2. Why convert to Islam when the Quran contradicts previous revelation?
Some Muslims argue that the Bible is corrupted. In my experience, Muslims who claim the Bible is corrupt are guilty themselves of corrupting the Bible by presenting false evidence, such as the Gospel of Barnabas.
The fact that Jesus believed the Scriptures and entrusted His teaching to His disciples is why you should believe the Jewish and Christian Scriptures.
3. Why convert to Islam since it cannot be historically demonstrated that the angel Gabriel revealed the Quran to Muhammad?
4. Why convert to Islam when Muhammad admitted he was a sinner in need of God’s forgiveness?
Muhammad reportedly said he was a sinner in need of forgiveness:
Book 035, Number 6523:
Al-Agharr al-Muzani who was from amongst the Companions of Allah’s Apostle (may peace be upon him) reported that Ibn ‘Umar stated to him that Allah’s Messenger (may peace ‘be upon him) said: O people, seek repentance from Allah. Verily, I seek repentance from Him a hundred times a day.
Volume 8, Book 75, Number 319:
Narrated Abu Huraira:
I heard Allah’s Apostle saying.” By Allah! I ask for forgiveness from Allah and turn to Him in repentance more than seventy times a day.”
Jesus never sinned.
5. Why convert to Islam, since Muhammad violated Jesus’ interpretation of God’s law, “Do not commit adultery”? Here is a short video giving further explanation:
6. Why convert to Islam since Jesus never sinned and has authority to forgive sin? (cf. Mark 2:1-13)
2 Corinthians 5:20–21
20We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God.
21God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
1 Peter 2:22
22“He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth.”
1 John 3:5
5But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin.
26Such a high priest meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens. 27Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself. 28For the law appoints as high priests men who are weak; but the oath, which came after the law, appointed the Son, who has been made perfect forever.
If you convert to Islam, how will you be forgiven of your sin? How will you be forgiven for not doing God’s will by believing in Jesus? Jesus taught,
“The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”
For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.”
7. Why convert to Islam when Jesus perfectly exemplified love, and Muhammad did not?
- Jesus commanded His disciples to love their enemies,
43“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’
44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
- Jesus not only taught about love, He demonstrated love. He willingly laid down His life for His enemies,
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
For if, when we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!
8. Why convert to Islam since Muhammad is dead and buried?
You should consider becoming a Christian, because Jesus lives. His tomb is empty. Jesus has overcome death. Jesus is the way to eternal life.
The Bible says, “That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved” (Romans 10:9).
You may also be interested in:
- Additional questions to ask about the textual variants of the Bible:
- Who changed the Biblical teaching about the crucifixion and death of Jesus?
- When did the change occur and why?
- What manuscript evidence is there for such a change? Can you find a manuscript fragment or complete manuscript from the New Testament that teaches Jesus did not die on the cross?
- Are you able to give valid historical evidence (eyewitness accounts, a record of eyewitness accounts, accounts of an historian, a Gospel, etc.) dating before AD 100 that Jesus did not die on the cross?
- Can you give historical explanation for how Christians, including Jesus’ disciples, mistakenly came to believe Jesus died on the cross?