Pakistani woman convicted
A Christian Pakistani Woman, Asia Bibi, has been sentenced to be hanged for blaspheming Muhammad.
- Bibi, a field worker, dipped her cup into a bucket of drinking water used by Muslim co-workers.
- The Muslim co-workers complained the water had been contaminated by a non-Muslim (Christian).
- Bibi told a co-worker that Muhammad had worms in his mouth – meaning he was not a prophet.
- After 15 months in prison, Bibi has been found guilty of violating Pakistani Law 295c and has been sentenced to be hanged.
- Pakistani town cleric, Qari Salim, said Bibi’s death sentence was one of the happiest moments of his life, “”Tears of joy poured from my eyes.”
While Pakistan has never executed someone convicted of blasphemy, immense pressure is placed on families and the Christian community. In fact, Pakistani Christians who have been been released on bail or acquitted of “blasphemy” have still been killed by angry mobs (For a recent occurrence of this see, Islamists in Pakistan Kill ‘Blasphemy’ Accused, Four Others).
Please pray for Pakistani woman, Asia Bibi, her Pakistani husband, and two Pakistani girls (Hebrews 13:3). Pray that this family would understand that in their suffering they are following in the steps of Jesus (1 Peter 2:21-25). Pray that they would remember how the Lord Jesus also spoke the truth, was convicted for blasphemy, and sentenced to be hanged to suffer the shameful and accursed death of the cross (Matthew 26:62-68).