Do you believe what Jesus believed about the Bible?
The Bible was central to Jesus’ teaching
The Bible was foundational to Jesus’ beliefs and teaching,
- Jesus taught that the Bible was authoritative (Matthew 5:17-44 and John 10:30-36)
- Jesus taught that the biblical writers were inspired by the Holy Spirit (Mark 12:36)
- Jesus taught that the Old Testament Bible is a means of salvation (Luke 16:31; see Rom.10:17).
- When Jesus was disputing with the Pharisees and teachers of the Law He appealed to the Scriptures (Matthew 19:4 with Genesis 2:24; Matthew 22:41-46 with Psalm 110:1)
Jesus taught that error comes from not knowing the Bible (Matthew 22:29).
Jesus taught that it was necessary for Scripture be fulfilled (Luke 24:25,27,44; Matthew 26:54).
- Jesus put belief in His words on the same level as belief in the Old Testament Bible (John 5:45-47).
It has been my experience that Muslims don’t take seriously references to the Christian gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) because they mistakenly believe the gospels are corrupted from the Injeel, which the Qur’an claims was given to Jesus,
And We made to supervene on their tracks Isa son of Maryam, (Jesus son of Mary) sincerely verifying whatever of the Tawrah (The Book revealed to Musa “Moses”, of which the extant Torah is a corruption) was before him, (Literally: between: between his two hands) and We brought him the Injil, (The Book revealed to Isa “Jesus”, of which the extant Gospel is a corruption) wherein there is a guidance and a light, and sincerely verifying whatever of the Tawrah (The Book revealed to Musa “Moses”, of which the extant Torah is a corruption ) was before him, (Literally: between: between his two hands) and a guidance and an admonition to the pious. (Mohammad Mahmoud Ghali)
The truth is that Jesus was never given a book from heaven. Jesus never gave His followers a book, which the Qur’an calls the Injeel.1 The Injīl has only ever existed in Islamic imagination.
The logic of the Qur’an seems to be circular:
How do we know the Christian gospels are corrupt?
Answer: The Quran’ic claim about the Injeel.
What is the proof that the Injeel existed?
Answer: The Qur’an.
The reality is that the Quranic Injīl is a corruption of the New Testament.
Jesus lived by the Bible, and Jesus is alive
One of the greatest evidences for the reliability of the Christian Bible is that Jesus not only lived by the Bible, Jesus is alive – His tomb is empty
Do you believe in Jesus Christ?2 Do you believe what Jesus believed about Scripture?
- Bible Difficulties and Contradictions
- Does the Bible Contradict Itself?
- Contradictions, Corruptions, and Copyists
- Discrepancies and Contradictions
- The Manuscript Tradition of the Bible
- Injeel is often translated “the Gospel” in English translations of the Quran, but the Arabic Injeel of the Quran has a different meaning from the biblical word “gospel” (euangelion).
The biblical euangelion (gospel) refers to good news and preaching (Greek: euangelizō) the good news about the kingdom of God, God’s Messiah (Christ), and what Jesus accomplished and is accomplishing in history.
Jesus’ followers preached (Greek: euangelizō) the good news (Greek: euangelion ) about Jesus and years later they wrote down the good news they preached in books Christians call gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. These four gospels (books) should not be confused with the Qur’an’s Injīl.
- The Bible’s references to Jesus as the “Christ” are references to Jesus’ death on the cross, resurrection and ascension to the right hand of God (Psalm 2; Acts 2:32-36).