Jesus, the Prince of Peace
August 31st, 2011
Jesus – the Prince of Peace
- Jesus’ genealogy indicates He is the Prince of Peace – Jesus was a descendant of King Solomon, whose very name meant “peace/shalom” (Matthew 1:6-7; 12:42).
- Jesus’ title, “Son of David” indicates that He is the Prince of Peace (Matthew 1:1).
- When Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary the angels of heaven sang, “Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased” (Luke 2:14).
- Jesus pronounced a blessing upon peacemakers and taught that His followers should love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us (Matthew 5:44).
- Jesus’ miracles indicated He is the Prince of Peace (Matthew 9:27-30; 20:29-34).
- Jesus exemplified peacemaking throughout His ministry even praying for His enemies from the cross, “Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing” (Luke 23:34).
- Jesus gave His disciples peace after He rose from the dead, “Peace be with you” (John 20:19,21,26; cf .John 14:27).
Peace with God comes through faith in the Jesus of Scripture (Romans 5:1).